Need help spending money more wisely? Here’s what to do both before and while you go shopping or make other purchases.
Before You Go Shopping
- Make sure you check your account balance through Online or Mobile Banking before you go shopping or make other purchases.
- If you have an upcoming scheduled payment (like a utility bill), make a note of what you think it will be and deduct that from your account balance.
- Remember to include anything you may owe someone (like $5 for lunch last week).
- It’s a good idea to subtract a little extra from your mental account balance, just in case an unexpected expense pops up.
Then you’ll know how much you have available to spend and you can go shopping.
While You Go Shopping
- Keep a mental estimate of how much money you think is in your cart.
- Once the attendant rings up the merchandise, notice the total amount. If it is more than the amount you have available to spend, look back at what is in your bag and try to put back a few items that you don’t really need.
- Once the total is within the amount you have available to spend, you can make the purchase and feel secure that you have the money in the bank to cover your promise and avoid paying any extra fees.